Thursday, April 28, 2011

Outdated Fridge Fun...Oh yes I did :)



Old fridge...chalkboard paint?  Why not?



This outdated fridge has been a "thorn in my side" for years now...it was here 12 years ago when my hubby bought this house..."B.L", before Laurel...


Then after we got married and updated a bit in the kitchen he was kind enough to replace the old "wood look" handles with these welded metal ones...better...but still not great.  We really NEED a new fridge but just haven't "gone there" yet...because frankly it still works :)...no wait, :(


So anyway, I decided to go ahead and "play" with this one since I know it's not permanent...and I measured in 2 inches...


And taped...


And painted...1, 2, 3 coats of Krylon chalkboard paint.


 I had a feeling the paint would bleed a little bit which it did...a lot.  But I don't mind...it has that "torn paper" effect that I like anyway.


Then I got out my stencils...and added my words.  Next I had to wait for the paint to dry 24 hours before I could break in the surface...I'm not good at waiting...tick, tock, tick, tock...
While we're waiting...


Did you see that Frigidaire label in the "before" pictures?  We took it off because it was in the way.  But I just happened to have a rectangular magnet (from a magnetic note pad) that fit perfectly on the back.  Now I can put it wherever I want to...or not, we'll see.  I guess it's kind of fun in a "vintage-y" sort of way.
Still waiting...


24 hours later...I sanded the letters lightly with a fine sand paper and used the side of my chalk to "break in" the surface as recommended on the paint instructions and "Wha-laa"...here she is all fixed up and ready to enjoy.


And remember that Frigidaire magnet I made?  I put it to work holding my recipe...pretty slick.
So what do ya think?  A little bit more fun on the outside...but still pretty outdated on the inside, but for now it works.

Think I'll join in the fun over at Whisperwood Cottage...ofr the Chalk Talk Linky Party...better late than never right?

Also, joining in the fun at...



25 comments:

  1. so fun! i've seen a few chalkboard fridges around, but as ours is new, i can't bring myself to mess with it...although, i have had the thought that the sides would be perfect dressed in chalkboard paint...love what you did, with the framed edgeds...i hope you'll link this to fridays unfolded this week!

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I'd love to know what your husband said about this one... This is very cool, so something I would do!
    Love it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it was a splendid idea! I love chalkboard paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. Love. It.

    I wonder if hubby will let me do this!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's AWESOME!!! It's so cool! My refrig is old too...hmm...you got me thinking :) LOL!!
    I sure hope it's nice tomorrow! Where is our sunshine??!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. I finally broke down & got new appliances....mine were 15 years old and the fridge was making a horrible noise....afraid it might start a fire....away it went and I got $30 from the power company. Have a great day. Shows what you can do when you get an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GET OUT! I love love love it...I can't believe how new and fresh and wonderful it looks. Risky paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohyeah...that is awesome. I am glad you had the gust to do that...I am not sure I would have (because hubby would be chirping in my ear!). LOVE it! New follower too!
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just LOVE your transformation of something that was a thorn... and making it into a Rose!

    I bought Chalkboard Paint recently to paint the interiors of some old Silver Trays with so that the G-Kids can create their Art and if they leave them laying about, well, it goes with my decor... yep, I'm very anal that way, I think I need major Therapy?!? *winks*

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Laurel! Love it!! Around 6 years ago I bought a new side by side, thinking my old fridge was about to check out. However, I couldn't do away with my old fridge until I was sure it was dying so I painted it black to match my new one. Well, it's still kicking and the black paint still looks wonderful! Wish I had thought to use chalkboard paint. I used enamel and no one knows I painted it. Now I'm wondering if I can paint chalkboard on top of the enamel...hmmmm:-)Best, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a completely fabulous idea, Laurel! It is so whimsical and fun. Now that your fridge looks so great, I'll bet you'll be sorry to see it go when it finally does kick the bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you've outdone yourself this time!! What a terrific idea. I think this is the absolute best item on Amy's chalkboard party. Great job!!! ~Marge

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! You rock! I would have done the same thing...but mines a little newer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Laurel! Way to be brave and have it seriously pay off! :-) It looks so awesome and I think this was a great idea. Thanks so much for linking it up this week to Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that you did this. I will be interested to hear how it holds up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous and great looking idea! Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this, almost makes me wish I had my old one back, but I have been thinking of doing this to my old deep freeze!
    Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw your feature at Friday's Unfolded and would love if you would link this to Thrifty Thursday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. as nikki said, i am featuring your fridge today at fridays unfolded...have a wonderful weekend!

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no you didn't!! HA

    Great job! I love it and I LOVE the magnet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm featuring your fridge this week on Thrifty Thursday! Thanks so much for linking it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute! My kitchen has a wooden front fridge but I have a regular fridge in my garage! Thanks from your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by & looking at my 'book shelves'! That tip you gave me was excellent! I'm thinking I might get some other "longer" books & stack them.

    This refrigerator idea: AWESOME. It almost makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine.

    I look forward to seeing some of your stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, what a good idea! Keep the fridge as long as you can because some of the new ones don't last very long.I bought a new Whirlpool and it started leaking water two weeks after the warranty (2 years) expired. My aunt bought a SubZero and the water dispenser has leaked since Day One. When I called Whirlpool about mine, I was told that it can't be fixed because the back doesn't come off! You came up with a darling idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! Please also feel free to contact me through email or on my Chipping with Charm Facebook page. I love hearing from you :)