Thursday, March 26, 2015

From Chippy Drawer to Art Frame...

Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
I am always trying to think "outside the frame" at my house...


My Mother-In-Law is a talented water color artist.  
She recently gave us one of her original paintings of a cool old building.
It is in the Sponge Docks area of Tarpon Springs, FL.  
Have you heard of it?  
It's a favorite stop during our annual winter escape.  
I wanted to find a fun way to frame this treasured art...
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com

I happened to have this chippy aqua and white drawer on hand.  I bought a pre-cut piece of plexi-glass from the hardware store. 
I could have bought a bigger piece and cut it down to fit...but I was being "frugal" and decided make this work instead :) 
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com

I decided a yardstick would be the perfect "fix"...and when we were visiting Florida last week I found the perfect one!
Meant to be?
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
  
YEP :)
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com  
We just cut it to cover and hold the bottom of the picture/plexi-glass.  Next we drilled little holes and secured them with upholstery tacks.
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com  
Two more tacks at the top to hold the glass in place.
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com  
This perfectly chippy drawer is kinda "dreamy" don't you think?
Chipping with Charm: Drawer to Art Frame...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com

Now I just have to decide where to hang it.
I'm thinking the 3 season porch might be nice...when it warms up it usually feels like Florida out there.

Sharing this at...
Funky Junk Interiors...Party Junk 
Coastal Charm...Show and Share

We are still slowly working on the family room here.  
We tossed in our little vacation and are now playing "catch up" on other things.  I'm hoping that we can get some more done down there this weekend!
Chat soon,

14 comments:

  1. Great idea! Perfect chippy and unexpected frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these idea! The chippy wood of the drawer looks awesome with that watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!!! That is just darling!!!! I love how it turned out. You are right, Laurel, your MIL is talented. I love the Tarpon Springs area, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laurel this is super cute. Hmmmmm you have given me an idea what to do with an old drawer I have.
    This is really great.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific idea! The water color is beautiful, and yes, you had the perfect colored drawer to fit it in. Very fun!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were meant to be together! What a fun and clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to put your loving picture in this beautiful chippy drawer. Love it. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well aren't you just jazzy! Surely meant to be on the yard stick!! You've doe it again my friend Laurel!! XOXO Love ya Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, Laurel! Isn't it amazing how God surprises us with tiny little pleasures like the yardstick to go with your painting? He is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally wonderful idea. You are thinking outside the frame and it is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I have to pin this idea! Too often I have artwork or pictures that are an odd measurement and the plexiglass is such a great solution as well as the drawer!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect spot for a special water color from your mother in law! Love it in the drawer!! :) xo Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! Please also feel free to contact me through email or on my Chipping with Charm Facebook page. I love hearing from you :)